We announce one-year postdoc positions (with possible extensions) at the Institute of Informatics, University of Warsaw, Poland. The positions are supported by the ERC Starting Grant CUTACOMBS: “Cuts and decompositions: algorithms and combinatorial properties” led by Marcin Pilipczuk and by the ERC Consolidator Grant TUgbOAT: “Towards Unification of Algorithmic Tools” led by Piotr Sankowski.
The CUTACOMBS’ focus is on structural graph theory and parameterized complexity. Example topics include:
* structure of separations in directed graphs, with applications to parameterized algorithms;
* approximability of the disjoint paths problem in various settings;
* structure of hereditary graph classes, such as graph excluding a fixed graph as induced subgraph, with algorithmic and graph-theoretical applications.
More information about the project can be found at http://cutacombs.mimuw.edu.pl/.
The TUgbOAT’s focus is to work on algorithms for core algorithmic problems.
Example topics include:
* faster algorithms for matchings and maximum flow problems;
* optimal online algorithms (when comparing to online opt);
* analyzing structure of real world networks and exploiting it algorithmically.
The theoretical computer science group in Warsaw is strong and growing. Apart from the algorithms group specializing in parameterized and approximation algorithms (Marek Cygan, Łukasz Kowalik, Marcin Mucha, Marcin Pilipczuk, Michał Pilipczuk, Piotr Sankowski), we have also a leading research group in logic and automata (Mikołaj Bojańczyk, Bartosz Klin, Sławomir Lasota).
We are looking for outstanding candidates with a Ph.D. (or soon to obtain a Ph.D.) in Computer Science or Mathematics who have already proven their high scientific potential in the area of algorithms or graph theory through publications in proceedings of highly ranked international conferences and/or journals. Background in the specific areas of projects in question will be an advantage.
The gross annual salary is around 100,000PLN. For comparison, this translates to around twice the average salary in Poland. The position comes with a generous travel support and no teaching duties.
The application deadline is 10th September 2018. The starting date is flexible, but not earlier than 1st November 2018.
To apply, send a CV both to Marcin Pilipczuk (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Piotr Sankowski (email@example.com). Please indicate your preference with regards to the project. Questions and informal inquiries are welcome.